9 Best Baby Bottles For Newborns: Durable & Safe
Newborn babies need to feed about 8 to 12 times per day. If you’re using a bottle for even half of those feedings, you want to make sure it’s not going to cause gas, upset stomach, spit-up, or colic. You also want to make sure the bottles are free of harmful chemicals, are easy to clean and promote a good latch.
The best baby bottles easily do all of these and also more than these. To make our reviews, we scoured the internet, did focus groups with over a dozen moms, polled moms through our website, and pulled together our reviews based in genuine and extensive research.
The most important factor while choosing bottles and nipples is obviously that the baby takes to them. It is almost equally important that, as a new mom, you are comfortable using them since cleanliness and maintenance are going to become routine (and pretty cumbersome) chores for you.
There are various brands Available in the market which promises to give utmost safety and security.
- GLASS BOTTLES
- PLASTIC BOTTLES
One of the main reasons why parents still choose glass baby bottles over other baby bottles is because they are BPA free. It is made without petroleum so is more eco friendly too. However, they are more expensive and there is a danger of breakage. You can get silicon covers for the bottles to avoid damage.
What To Choose For a Start?
For a beginning, you can choose 4 ounce bottles for your newborn. Then you can move onto the 8 or 9 ounce ones as your baby grows, and his appetite increases.
- You could opt for bottles with disposable liners. The milk never touches the bottle and thus cleaning is way easier.
- If your baby is colicky, try the bottles with angled necks. They reduce gas formation.
Choosing the Bottle Nipples
There is a wide variety of bottles available in the market. However, your choice might be limited by the choice of the bottle since the two often come as a package. In any case, it is a good idea to opt for a combination of the same brand since that will ensure a better fit ruling out leakage.
1. Latex vs Silicon
2. Size of the Nipple
Though nipples come with an age indicator you can use this information as a rough guide. When you upturn the bottle, milk should drip out in steady drops. If the nipple is too small, the flow may be too slow for the baby making him struggle and tiring him out. Too big a size might allow too much milk and result in choking. Observe the baby carefully each time you try out a new one.
Most nipples are traditionally either bell or dome-shaped. You might also want to consider some special ones:
Naturally-shaped nipples have a broader base. These are good when the baby is making the transition from breast to bottle because they mimic the shape of the breast better.
Orthodontic nipples are ideal for teething baby. They are flat on the side that rests on the baby’s tongue.
Vented nipples, though expensive are also a good choice. They have a tiny hole to avoid the creation of a vacuum, making the milk-flow easier. They are especially useful to avoid colic and gas.
Table Of Contents:
- This bottle is made for a comfortable feeding experience for baby and eases the transition from breast to bottle and back again.
- Dr. Brown’s glass bottles are good and their silicon sleeve provides good non slip handle. The nipple is a much more natural shape and easy for baby to latch on to. The new design is wonderful and Dr. Brown’s is best for anti-gas. The glass bottles are sturdy and really great construction. They feel very solid and well made.
- You should definitely buy this bottle keeping in mind the features and brand quality. Yes, it required a few more minutes to clean the ventilating system, but children lack of fussiness will be worth it.
- Lifefactory baby bottles are made of the highest quality, thermal shock resistant borosilicate glass. This allows our bottles to transition safely from freezer to boiling water.
- The design of the bottles are really cool.
- These clean very nice. The silicone cover comes off really easy.
- These are lasting well–no breaks as of yet, and unlike the plastic bottles we started with, the milk smell washes right out and there’s no sign of wear.
- The bottles can safely go in the dishwasher (not recommended for plastic, which wears down and leaches more with heat) and the nipples and collars are easy to hand wash.
- They’re perfect for baby showers and they’re easy to wrap. A great way to ensure baby gets off to a healthy start.
- The bottles have a great design keeping in mind the cost of it.
- The bottles are very much suitable for boiling and doesn’t not emit any toxic substances.
- These are branded bottles made and assembled in the US.
- PopYum stores formula and water separately in the bottle. When hunger calls, simply press the buttons (or ‘Pop’), shake a few times, and ‘Yum’! PopYum is the only bottle which was designed to be used with one hand only so you can comfort baby or multitask with your other hand.
- Breast milk (and/or water) is completely isolated in the bottom of the bottle. It never touches the leak points of the tip of the nipple and anti-colic vent until you press the PopYum buttons which releases the agitator and allows the breast milk into the nipple area.
- PopYum is made of only medical grade silicone and premium polypropylene. PopYum is BPA, BPS, latex, lead, nitrosamines, PET, phthalates, PVC and TPE free.
- Glass baby bottles by LifeFactory (Babylife) are designed to grow with your child. The included clear cover can also serve as an easy to hold cup.
- Twist on the solid cap (sold separately) and use your bottles for storing juice or snacks.
- The bottle and sleeve can also go in the freezer, making breast milk storage simple.
- Wee-Go Glass baby bottles by LifeFactory (Babylife) are designed to grow with your child.
- Twist on the solid cap (sold separately) and use your bottles for storing juice or snacks. Perfect for a lunchbox or traveling.
- The bottle and sleeve can be boiled or put in the dishwasher together. They can also go in the freezer, making breast milk storage simple.
- The Philips Avent 9-ounce Natural bottles are the most natural way to bottle feed. The wide, breast-shaped nipples promote natural latch-on so you can easily combine breastfeeding and bottle feeding.
- The ergonomic shape makes it comfortable for parents to hold and easy for small fingers to grasp.
- The nipple has twin anti-colic valves that help make feeding more comfortable for babies. During feeding, the valves release air back into the bottle rather than into a baby’s tummy to reduce colic and discomfort.
- Dr. Brown’s Options 3 Piece Wide Neck Glass Bottles, 9 Ounce . The anti-colic vent system is designed to grow with baby, and we recommend using this system to experience all the health benefits of our bottle.
- This anti-colic helps reduce feeding problems, helps digestion and helps preserve vitamins. Some moms and dads find removing the vent a convenient option as their baby’s feeding becomes more developed.
- The nipple venting creates a paced flow, and provides a feeding experience similar to most nipple-vented bottles.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQS)
Q) How do I pick which bottle to go with?
A) You won’t know which bottle is best for him until he tries it. Newborns often take in only a couple of ounces at a time, but babies ramp up their eating quickly, so going straight for the bigger bottles could save you money. Try to buy the bottle which has the same brand as your breast pump.
Also, if it is your second child than it would be best to invest in new bottle rather than feeding him with the old ones.
Q) Which bottle brand is the best?
A) The brand of the bottle doesn’t matter that much if your baby prefer that bottle to be fed as all the brands are very competing and there they provide all features which are available in the market. However, there are few very popular and trusted brands like Philips,Dr. Brown, life factory and many more.
Go for the bottle which your child prefers. Also, buy the tested brands product only as local and uncertified brands might cause certain health effects to your child.
Q) How many baby bottles do you need to buy?
Q) Can I buy used baby bottles?
There are numerous bottles on the market, and finding the right one for your little one may take more than one try. Having a few different brands or a starter pack on hand to test out when baby arrives are great ways to prepare for whatever baby may prefer.
Everyone’s choice is different and there is no such thing as a perfect Baby bottle so explore the market and choose according to your baby’s taste.